Thursday, April 25, 2013

23 hour orthodontist Trip

A few months ago Andrew got braces.  About every 8 weeks we head off to Jakarta to the nearest American trained Orthodontist.    6.5 hours by Boeing 737-900 ER plane west.  Then appointment and shopping.   Latter 6.5 hours by plane headed back east.  Praise the Lord for insurance but it is still expensive even at 25% out of pocket.      Ruth accompanies Andrew one trip and I go the next trip.  Usually we spend the night in Jakarta.

This time as I was booking the trip I was trying to squeeze it between an incredibly busy travel schedule that was coming ahead and around an already day off from school for Andrew.   How can we do it?   As I looked at all the airlines that fly I noticed that one had a flight starting at 7:45 am and returning on the same day at 10:30 p.m. and arriving the next morning at 6:00 a.m.  Almost 23 hours – Yikes.    But it put us in Jakarta for just long enough to do the orthodontist appointment and a little bit of shopping and then we could jump back on the plane to be home for weekend appointments.   I’m not sure how functional I’ll be after spending 13 hours actually flying and more than 23 hours from home but fortunately the appointment were trying to make in Jayapura is a very relaxing one.   Stay tuned.

001

Andrew and me after only half way through.   I wonder what we’ll look like after a night on a very uncomfortable airplane ride?

No comments:

Post a Comment